Fresh Direct, the UK’s leading foodservice fresh produce wholesaler, has been awarded six Great Taste awards for a range of products produced in its Fresh Kitchen facility in Bicester.
Fresh Kitchen hand prepares an array of sauces, pickles, soups marinades, relishes and desserts for chefs in the hospitality industry. The awards are testament to the craft and innovation that goes into the products, which are created using high quality ingredients.
The winning products, which build on the three awards that have previously been presented to the company, are:
- Rum Sauce, a caramel-coloured glossy sauce which conjures up the taste of the Caribbean. The allspice is the perfect balance to the sauce, bringing all the other ingredients which includes Scotch Bonne together. Judges said that the sauce was “well crafted with a sweet and sharp tang, hint of rum that is most satisfying along with the heat”.
- Golden Beetroot Piccalilli, which judges described as “pleasingly coloured with brightness, an innovative piccalilli with refreshing and clean seasoning.”
- Watermelon Pickle, which allows chefs to serve up an innovative option that combines the sweetness of the melon with the sourness of lime and vinegar. Judges were said to be “excited by this completely new concept of pickle which is both refreshing and attractive.”
- Tomato Basil Gelato, a real talking point at the table thanks to its unusual combination of flavours in a sweet dish. Judges were said to be “enchanted by the flavour which was surprising and delicious and melded into a delightful dessert.”
- Beef Bourguignon, one of Fresh Kitchen’s fastest growing products, which offers a rich, homemade feel to this traditional favourite. Judges said that “the flavour is great, with a real depth to the sauce and the onions are sweet and tender.”
- Comeback Sauce, our ‘secret’ sauce that’s great for a range of recipes, and the perfect condiment for a burger. Judges said it was “cleverly textured with the heat from the siracha well balanced and the consistency perfect.”
Rum Sauce received an ‘outstanding’ two star award from the judges.
As operators have struggled to recruit skilled kitchen workers, Fresh Kitchen has grown significantly, increasing the footprint of its operation by around 20%, adding additional ovens, boiling pan and blast chillers to meet expanding demand and with further investment planned this year.
James Chilton, Manufacturing Manager at Fresh Kitchen, said:
“We are delighted that the Great Taste awards have recognised so many of our products. We pride ourselves on creating top quality, consistent products with every batch we make. It’s why customers have come to rely on Fresh Kitchen to support their own kitchens with our range of around 400 recipes.”